AboutMy* Talk Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
AboutMy* Talk : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.2 AboutMy* Talk > Story Forums > Job Story Forum > Job Story: I'll tell you how it REALLY is!....McDonalds manager

This thread was originally created in response to a story posted on AboutMyJob.com.
This site has sinced changed management and aboutmytalk and aboutmyjob are separate sites.
However, you can click here to read the original story.
Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.

Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post Your Job Story Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Anonymous

Ok, I'm a manager at a mcdonalds in missouri too and I have never seen any of those problems in my store. The reason your store was crap was because of the owner. We obey the child labor laws-15year olds get off on time. I've been yelled at numerous times for not letting them off on time. If you guys served chicken that was left out on the counter, that's your fault. you should pay attention. do something about it, you are the manager. Also, I get great pay. I've only worked there a year and a half and make $8.75. I'm 17 years old. I'm also on the low end of the chain because i haven't been there as long as the other managers. most other managers make over $11hr. The other managers are 16-18 year olds so I am sure the adults make hella lot more than we do. Just because one store is bad doesn't all mcdonalds stores operate that way. you should take that into consideration before trashin the whole corporation.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-22-2004 02:49 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
puddinsmom

McDonalds SUCKS

I'm quitting my job as a swing manager in 3.5 weeks. This has been the worst year of my life and I would NEVER recommend working @ a McDonalds... unless you're unintelligent, then you'll get along fabulously with everyone else there.

Old Post 10-14-2004 01:13 AM
puddinsmom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for puddinsmom Find more posts by puddinsmom Add puddinsmom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Anonymous

I do not agree with you. although some crew hate to work at McDonalds it's usually the ones that don't do there jobs very good. I have worked there for almost 3 years, and I love it. I dont want to work there for the rest of my life,but i love the people I work with and most of the customers. I do admit that at times it is a shitty job, but you have to do it to get paid. THe customers might treat you like crap and yell at you, but thecustomer is always right, and you have to know that to do the job right. I think that this just isnt the job for you. I also know that if you cant do this job, then you wont make it in the real world.

Old Post 10-22-2004 02:40 PM
Anonymous

Hey Martha!

Sorry...don't believe you! Got you some good attention, though, didn't it?!
Gotta go!

Old Post 10-23-2004 08:39 PM
Anonymous

Hello, I beleive most about what everyone has said in here.
I worked at a Mcdonalds in Milford Ohio. The owner has told the Managers to hit the timers on the Food, But not to Discard the meat, When theft happens in the store they dont fire the help the managers come to the register and promo something to make up the loss, No cameras in the stores (He owns 4 of them)
Managers has cought employees smoking weed outside of the building ( they state put that out and get back in here ), Firing people because of personal reasons not because of how they performed, The current store manager has been indicted and was on probation and charged with trafficking in Marijuana, One of the morning managers was charged with trafficking in drugs, About 75% of the stores this man own all smoke Marijuana on and off the clock, Had a Grill person 1 night working just before an annual inspection and he was on pills and had beer by the back door lets say he was messed up - slipped on the floor and went to the Doctor - The Doctor gave him more medicine - The reason he needed to go to the Doctor was he was on probation and had been on pain meds without e prescrip - And he had to take a drug test in a few days in the probation dept now that person is now a manager and a manager knows the story from the day it happened, And theres a lot more that I can say on here...
Now for the ones that say I dont beleive that the only thing I can say is that there are bad ran stores and there is good ran stores.
Now the ones that say nothing like that has ever happened here
that means you have good quality managers and a good staff and the main store Manager is doing his or her Job Or you are just covering up your little instances that has happened.
Do you all know what would happen if Mcdonalds would ever decide to give drug test to there workers (I) do it will mean the majority of the problems they have will cease and Mcdonalds would once again be where they should be

What ya all think

Old Post 11-23-2004 04:12 PM
Anonymous

Another point of view!

I just read this article and Im shocked, Im a Shift Assistant (assisntant Manager) in a store in Australia. I only have good things to say about McDonalds. All the crew and managers in my store are always nice and always willing to go out of there way to help people. We even go out as a crew and have a really good time! Sure i understand that there are some 'shifty' stores out there, but the majority of them are great places for people of all ages and backgrounds to work. If anything I just want to show that there is another side to this story.

Cheers

Old Post 11-24-2004 06:45 AM
Anonymous

Your Crazy

You were stupid as heck to stay with that job and not report any of those things you say you supposedly experienced. You could have settled a multi-million dollar law suit!!

I worked at McDonalds in Missouri and it was in NO WAY like you said it was in your description. Yeah, some of the things were true but a lot of the nonsense you mentioned is not true at all.
Like the managers were in no way that mean and nasty!! No manager would ask someone to do situps while they were pregnant and then ask them to explain to them how they got pregnant. What the heck!! Who would be dumb enough to take that anyway?

And the labor laws were enforced unless the minor kid volunteered to do the job. No 15 year old girl is left in tears and told to go work the fries or some job she is not left to work in. You must have dictators running the show.

Its not that crazy working there!! OMG!!

My job at MCDonalds in St. Louis was my first job until I got a job with a grocery store too which was way better than McDonalds could ever be, union and all. Dierbergs is a great place to work.

Old Post 11-28-2004 08:55 AM
Anonymous

Angry And that's not all....

There was one manager at my Mickey D's who had sex with a then[-15-year-old female worker. You'd think that a person like that would get fired - think again! Immediately after her parents (and a few others whose daughters were also allegedly hit on by that manager) complained to the store managerand the franchise owner, he was simply transferred to another McDonald's within the same system.

A person like this should be in jail, not transferred. And, now, he is working at another location, possibly fondling another underaged worker. I find this morally reprehensible - should this be a Wendy's, Burger King or Harvey's in my area, such a person would be let go. I guess the owner cares more about the bottom line than the well-being of his employees, and any allegation of sexual abuse or other mistreatment by a manager is a public relations nightmare.

If sex isn't enough, that same manager has had several convictions for careless driving causing injury to the other party - and he's still allowed to drive employees home after a closing shift!!!

I have plenty more horror stories about my McDonald's, but this is what I have in mind right now. Even the thought of what I've just written has made me think twice about eating there on my days off.

Old Post 01-11-2005 10:50 AM
Anonymous

Welll... interesting story, I'm 17 and I started work at McDonald's when i was 15. 3 years ago this May. I don't know if certin things are different for the store owners or they have to abid by the same rules and regulations. But hiring someone like that on the stop doesn't happen and you shouldn't of agreed to it then. In ohio if your 16 or under you cant work more than 5 hours without a beak and you cant work pass 7 on the weeknights/schoolnights. If that manager kept her there, that was their decision and they'll be the one talking one on one with the store owner, they man/woman that signs the paychecks. They and the store will go into violation and could get sued. yes if you thought being a crew member sucked u shoulda just quit than became a manager b/c u got a whole new shit load sitting on your schoulders. duh.

and no mcdonalds in the world could do a 90sec per car drive thru time ulness each order is a hot fudge sunade.

I have no problem with my store, I guess im a lucky one, my managers and crew members are all fun and good to work with, I have 2 gay managers andd yes u'd think that they'd be a problem with the guys but if they say anything they know there joking. they are 2 of the coolest people ive ever know, im honeslty not lying a bit, there children and so much fun and we hang out with them at home all the time. seriouslt if they didn't work at mcdonalds they schould be stand up comedians but if they werent at mcdonalds they've have nothing to talk about. they aren't legally married, but together.

Sorry about the experience. Smiles are free.

alot of things you said MIGHT of happened. but prolly not, people arent treated like that.

so move on b/c mcdonalds isnt as bad as people say it is trust me.

And for all those impatient customers
mcdonalds is fast food, NOT INSTANT

if u don't wanna wait, don't come

Old Post 01-21-2005 02:59 AM
Anonymous

im earning $46.000 per year after tax. guest what? kiss my ass

yeah baby yeahhhhHH

i love working at mc'donalds. DONT KNOW IN AMERICA BUT HERE IN AUSTRALIA IS GREAT TO WORK FOR MC'DONALDS

Old Post 02-19-2005 03:22 PM
Anonymous

Question mcdonalds

I just started training at McDonalds. I decided to work there because I needed a job A.S.A.P & they are always hiring. I only plan on working there for 3 months,luckily, til' I move. I think McDonalds is a shitty place to work, but if you need a job and can deal with poverty level pay it's a great option! They don't give free food here,just half price. The manager and many crewmembers are fat. If you are considering working for McDonalds, think of it as a temp position, til' you find something better. Even the managers that have been promoted don't make much money, and seem very unhappy. Thanks! c*

Old Post 03-16-2005 03:44 AM
Anonymous

I have worked for a McDonald's for 3 years...I am 18 and it isn't that bad. I think the store you worked for was just ghetto...I've never experienced anything like that.

Old Post 04-12-2005 11:41 PM
Anonymous

Red face THE IRISH HAVE KNOCKED YOU OUT

Hello there fellow employees:

Well i'm just writing to say hi to all of you other people out there who put up with the same shit as i do all i can say is that the best thing is that i get to work with my fiancee which is pretty cool !!!!

DON'T YOU THINK?????????

and to all of you people from austraila any chance of a job all the way down there???????

From the faithfull IRISH

Old Post 04-17-2005 11:20 PM
Anonymous

Angry Re: mcdonalds

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
I just started training at McDonalds. I decided to work there because I needed a job A.S.A.P & they are always hiring. I only plan on working there for 3 months,luckily, til' I move. I think McDonalds is a shitty place to work, but if you need a job and can deal with poverty level pay it's a great option! They don't give free food here,just half price. The manager and many crewmembers are fat. If you are considering working for McDonalds, think of it as a temp position, til' you find something better. Even the managers that have been promoted don't make much money, and seem very unhappy. Thanks! c*

Well hello there!!!!

My personel thoughts of what you have said is s**t because if you can work with these people that YOU are saying they are over weight and work for the company earning money from them this makes you a hipocrite you not much of anything are you critisising these people who are just trying to make a few euro for their bills.

Now your knocked out by the IRISH

Old Post 04-17-2005 11:32 PM
Anonymous

i have worked at Mc Donlads for 3 years now i just got a promotion to crew leader. i make 7.30 now i am in charge of the delivery. i hate my job and it's not really the managment that pisses me off its the crew that i work with the are so fucking lazy. no one nows how to change the stupid soda syrup i do it or one of the guys that i do get along with and i respect them for their efforts, they do everything that i do and i am cool with them. but when they empty a box they leave it in the stock room, in the freezer, or cooler, why the fuck cant they break it down and put it with the garbage. they have to be told when to put frys down. they hand out wrong orders all the fucking time. it just pisses me off when i get down with truck i go through the store and open the boxes that we will be using rite away and cut the flaps off so that they can get to the stuf easier and this is also down on a daily basis by the maintenece guy. i told the manager that i think we got some fucking lazy ass people working here and she agreed with me but does nothing about it. another thing is and this pissed the manager off we had one of our biggest lunch rushes the other day and the window people kept taking orders and we had the full screen on with 8 orders plus we were pending 5. But i think what it is people just dont care so the ones that do do the work like me we have to work that much harder to keep the place going. the reason i havent left is no one will pay 7.30 hour to start. i just dont know what i should do to get these morns to pick up after themselves. they think that i am lazy and that i just sit around when i am unloading the truck. but not true if u unload truck u know that u are timed i can unlaod a 500 case truck in 30 min max. so times less. we are haveing a crew meeting on april 25 and we can talk about the shit that is going on and boy is it going to get hot in that room.

Old Post 04-18-2005 02:20 AM
Anonymous

You are all idiots

I am a Store Manager at McDonald's. Sure, the job might not pay well. You may seem like you get all of the "bitch-work". Who cares. It's easy. I would rather screw around and mop all day than have to make sandwiches. You get to work at your own pace. Trust me, I hate McDonald's. It is a fast food restaurant. It isn't gourmet. If the corporation would recognize this then maybe it wouldn't be so bad. However, they don't. People don't come there to get filet mignon. They go there to get some food real quick before work. Who cares how the quality is right? But as far as you people and your constant bitching...shut the hell up. Bottom line, it is EASY WORK. If you don't like it, leave. It isn't hard to quit. I will even give a demonstration as to how to do this:

1. Stop showing up.

See how easy that is? Pretty simple, huh? No, instead you incessantly bitch about your job and about how you have to do some damn dishes every once in a while, but do nothing about it. Still...it is EASY. They don't pay well because they understand it is easy work. It isn't like it is going to kill you to quit. Get a job at Taco Bell, Wendy's, Burger King...eventually you will be old enough to either attend/graduate college and get a real job. Screw around while you can. I don't much care about much at my store. Know why? Because I have became aware of everything I have stated above. STOP BITCHING AND GET ANOTHER JOB. If you hated your experience working for McDonald's and vow to never go back...WE DON'T CARE.

Old Post 04-27-2005 09:06 PM
Anonymous

You fuck ups. Why didn't you get decent educations?

Old Post 05-23-2005 05:35 PM
Anonymous

Angry

wow, it's like you took the words from my mouth. I'm over here in Henderson Nevada, and it's exactly the same. exept i'm not a manager, i'm just a crew member, they want to promote me, but i said no. i just can't find a better job. and when people come to Mcdonalds why do they always expect it to be half off for them because there oh so special. one lady gave me a 50 cent tip, she said "i feel sorry for you kind of poeple" but i kept my mouth shut. like you i could write a book. ~Nick 4rm Mkyd's~

Old Post 05-30-2005 11:48 PM
Anonymous

Thumbs down

you're an asshole for getting those people fired. what do you have to prove? most likely they were making money to send to their families back home because they couldn't get jobs back home (newsflash: a lot of countries have employment problems). I hope you get fired from your next job

Old Post 07-02-2005 03:06 AM
Anonymous

Thumbs down Pure Evil

Hi. I totally believe this story. I live in Canada, I have worked for mcd's for eight years and its been eight years of pure hell. The drug problem, though it exists, isn't as bad at my store as what you described, but there are many other problems.
Blatent favoritism runs rampant through the restaurant. The morning maintenance person is related to a head manager of one of the other stores. She doesn't do shit in the restaurant. It takes her 20 minutes to fill six bottles with sanitizer. I'm not exagerating, seriously. When she cleans the lot outside, shes smoking more than cleaning and she talks down to the rest of the crew like they're shit. My point? She was one of only two people in my store to receive a 'exceeds standards' on her review. (Our reviews were yesterday-our system here is that on your review you either get 'meets standards' , 'exceeds standards' or 'Does not exceed standards') No one dares complain for fear of being fired or worse. She prances around like she owns the place, which, metaphorically, i guess she does.
If you are wondering, I got 'Meets standards' on my review, but I was listed every negative thing that I ever did, whether acurate or not. One of the main points is that apparently I don't always get my work done. True. Sometimes not all my work gets done. I'll tell you, I am not a lazy person. I work my ass off for that hell hole. I often have to skip breaks to get as much done as I do. I told my manger this was because we are sometimes very busy and also mentioned that they kept adding work to my list of tasks. Keep in mind, I work in the kitchen, so I am glued to the screen all night, so when we are busy I am stuck there making orders. Her response was that if I was unable to do the extra tasks that kept being assigened, that my hours would be cut. I have bills to pay like everyone else, so what could I say? I also clean the shake machine(3hrs of work), and most recently they added unloading the truck to my job. To anyone who has ever unloaded these trucks, you know how physically demanding this is. I'm wiped by the end of the shift and when I get home after an average day, I don't have the energy to do anything. ANDTHEY KEEP ADDING MORE AND MORE TASKS! It never ends. It seems that every week I have another duty that MUST be done.

I mentioned skipping breaks. Well, I am the only kitchen person and there is only one drive thru person and a manager and a maintenance guy. We are all overworked. When one of us calls in sick or takes time off, they rarely replace the missing person, so none of gets a single break all night. Not even for 5 lousy minutes.
The closers dont do shit. We all have to do our own work and anything the part timers didn't feel like doing on top of that. I brought that up too, but the response was, 'well if they're busy, they might not have time to do all their work. You have to be a team player.' HELLO??? Didn't I just mentoin that MY work is sometimes not done because we are too busy. Aparently this rule only applies to part time staff.
We are constantly demoralized with comments and thinly veiled threats. No one dares question anything. I heard a story about another one of this guy's stores. (I work at franchise). Someone once dared to send a PAL letter to corporate head office. These are letters used to voice concerns that we can't resolve at store level. Anyway, the poor guy was hunted down by the owner's area supervisor. Once his identity was found out, he was systematically bullied and had his hours cut so much that he was forced to quit. Now, we don't have PAL letters out anymore even though Corporate head office requires it.
Racism is also common. Every single person at my store is white. Last year they had hired an asian girl, I assume by mistake. She was picked on by the management and was soon fired for having 'a bad attitude'. She seemed nice enough to me. Out of all his stores, he has one black girl working for him. His 'token' black employee. I often hear racist remarks too.
The customers on the overnights are all rude. (I mentioned I work the overnight shift, right? 11pm to 7am) They are mostly students from the local college. They drive thu and are mostly drunk or high. WE have to serve them. Even if they swear at us, disrespect us, threaten us or throw food at us. They must be served with a smile on our face. I told my overnights manager a fe wtimes that I would call the police on some particularly rude ones(they were pounding on the door, cursing at us, and one took a piss right in the drive thru lane, but I was informed that if I called the police, that I would be the one who got in trouble. Again, I need the cash, so what can I do?
We bust our asses for that place night after night and what do we get? Threats, bitching about our work, and dehumanized in ways I don't even want to get into. We're treated worse than garbage. I'm treated worse of all because I occasionally express concerns about fire safety and other issues. During my review this was reffered to as 'complaining too much'.
I could go on and on, but here are a few more points of interest...

In the summer, the night staff has the air conditioning turned off at night to 'save electricity' and in the winter, we are not adequately heated. We're told to wear sweaters...but they have to be official Mcd's sweaters which they are generous enough to offer us for $25 each.

The weekend part timers don't do shit. I've heard stories from friends how they came in ont he weekened and they were all watching movies int he crewroom. This means more works for us full timers when we come in on Sunday night. Of course all their work, and our work, and all the extras have to be done by us, or we get shit on and threatened with cut hours.

Sometimes when we are forced to skip our breaks, we don't get paid. When we ask about the missing hours, we are given a list of times that we supposedly had breaks and our told that we were in fact paid for all breaks we missed-even though many missed breaks often disappear.

More and more work is constantly added to our list of tasks that MUST be completed. We can't even keep up with the work we have to do now. Do they think that this added work is soemhow going to be magically completed? And if we don't do it, it is used against us in our reviews and we are threatened with cut hours.

We don't get paid breaks, but we are not allowed to leave the store after 11pm until we open at 6am. We are virtually prisoners during our breaks.

They manipulate us in so many ways, that I can't even get into it here. And all this for next to slave wages.

Some of you say 'just quit'. Well, you just try to quit a job when its hard to find other full time work and you have bills to pay and rent to pay and food to buy.
Get more education? How??? I can't work full time nights and attend school too. Besides, I could never afford to be able to go to school, even with a gavernment loan. I am barely getting by now.

If you're curious, the raise I got on my review yesterday was a whopping 25 cents. This is for the entire year. I only get raises once a year. So, my reward for putting up with all this shit, and the nightmares- yes I sometimes have nightmares about it? My reward for eight years of hard labor and psychological trauma that will scar me for the rest of my life...$9.95 an hour. That's in Canadian currency.
Sound like a lot? If it does, then you're a complete moron.

Also, they recently added four video cameras in the store which can be monitered from the office or from the area supervisor's house on his computer. We are told the cameras are for security purposes. Bull shit! Every single camera is pointed at a crew station. They say it's to prevent theft and for our security. They don't have a camera pointed at the safe like you would think. Instead there is one pointed in the kitchen, two pointed at window and drive through and one pointed in the stock room. They spy on us, checking the recordings, and nitpick every little thing we do wrong. Using the recordings to intimidate us. We barely dare to speak amongst ourselves anymore for fear there is sound on the cameras. We asked if there was sound and they say there isn't, but we have a sign in the lobby satying 'these premises under surveillance for video AND sound. Plus a few things have come up which makes us wonder. Again, a method for them to control us through fear and intimidation.

Also, to those people that don't believe these stories or say stupid shit, GET REAL! This shit happens. It happens in every city in the world, every day. If you're lucky enough to work at a good Mcd's, then I envy you, but urge you to look deeper into the happenings at your store.

Old Post 10-20-2005 03:39 PM
Anonymous

quote:
my manger stoled money out of my ragster $ 260.00 to tell you the trouth and she got me farid because she said that i took the money and then told her that i hade to go home because i was not feeling well and that is a big fat lie what realy happen was i hade work at 4:00pm to 12:00am and at 6:45pm she told me to go home at 9:00pm and so i said ok and when 9:00pm came i gave her my haidphones and i asked her to please take out my drow and count it and she said that she would count it later and that i could go home and that onone would tuch the money that was in my drow so i said ok and i went home and then 4 hrs later she called me and told me that there was 260.00 missing from my drow.. i need help i need to find a way to get her into troble for taking that money from my drow can you please help me

Old Post 10-28-2005 02:12 PM
Anonymous

ive worked at a mcdonalds in ohio for three yrs now and i am now a manager and all this stuff ur sayin is so off the wall...we dont put up with sexual harrassment nor to we allow our employees to do the things ur sayin were done at ur restaraunt....we have excellent pay and we also dont hire anyone that walks through our door...mcdonalds is the best job ive had so far, im only 19 and im in college and they work around my schedule and i get a break everyday that i work....u shouldnt put down every mcdonalds just because uve had a bad experience!!!!

Old Post 11-23-2005 02:26 AM
Anonymous

Re: Job Story: I'll tell you how it REALLY is!....McDonalds manager

quote:
Originally posted by Dez moodyguy2@hotmail.com
I'm a college student (thank god) and a manager at McDonalds. I've been a manager for 3 years and the things you people write about sound far fetched. I know your type, the lazy, good for nothing crew person who thinks they're the best worker there. Good luck getting a job anywhere. I work at a very high volume McDonalds in San Antonio and we don't have anything even close to what you describe happen at our store. Of course, maybe that's because we don't just hire anyone who walks in.
Well I think the people who are bad mouthing this story need to realize that it is not the same perfect little mc dicks you think it is everywhere. some places are different and i have heard other places are worse than what this poor girl endured. so dont piss on the people who had a bad experience at mc dicks.

Old Post 01-10-2006 07:17 PM
Anonymous

quote:
You fuck ups. Why didn't you get decent educations?
You don't need a decent education to work other places than mc dicks, some people chose to work there, but even if you dont have a good education they still dont deserve to be treated this way. And if you had a good education and you worked for a hell of a good company, who knows you will still get treated like shit, so dont say that their fuck up cause they dont have a good education, tell the companies there fuck ups not the people who work there. you idiot.

Old Post 01-10-2006 07:28 PM
Anonymous

I work for a McDonald's franchise owner in Arkansas. I work in the office. I have worked as a Manager for Wendy's for two years prior to coming to work here so I can speak from experience. Every state has labor laws and they vary by state. In our state it is not required by law to give breaks to restaurant employees. If you want to keep your people it's common sense to give them breaks. I definately encourage anyone that has worked off the clock or has does not get breaks in the states that require them to make complaints to the labor board in you state. ALL employers fear the labor board. The fines they levy are huge. Stick it to THE MAN!

Old Post 01-11-2006 09:10 PM